Tuesday 11 March 2014

A Tease of Spring To Come


The time changed last weekend and that should have been an indicator that spring is not far off. Yeah, right.

This has been one of the worst winters in my memory. Snow storms are one thing, but snow storms one after the other without any lull in between is wearing, really wearing. Those small breaks with no snow and milder temperatures, and the knowledge that there will be a change of season eventually, is all that keeps us going some days.

What’s that saying about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel? I’m not so sure anymore.

 
 
Monday was an absolutely beautiful day and you could see the change in people. I met a neighbour and had a nice chat standing outside in the sun, enjoying above freezing temperatures. Everywhere I went people were smiling and talking about what a gorgeous day it was.

Today was about the same. Then I came home and watched the Weather Channel and the storm warning for tomorrow.

I’m watching TV tonight on a station out of Buffalo. There is a continuous banner running across the bottom of the screen announcing all the closures for tomorrow. They are expecting up to 14 inches of snow in New York State.

The words to some silly song kept running through my brain on Monday, something about Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows. It was that kind of day.

What are we going to be singing tomorrow? I guess we’ll have to wait and see if it’s as bad as predicted.

As we’ve said for months now, winter can’t last forever. It just feels like it’s been forever already.

No comments: