Thursday 3 April 2014

C is for Carrots


Every Mother has her tricks for getting kids to eat their vegetables. One of my favourite is to serve glazed carrots. I did it simply, adding brown sugar and butter to the cooked carrots, and my kids and the grandkids love them. Seems I didn’t venture to try anything different, if that habit goes back to my kids.

Until this past year, when I experimented with recipes from my new cookbook, called Summer Savoury, recipes for vegetables and berries.

I decided to try a new variation on the brown sugar, fake you into eating vegetables, carrots of old.
 
I found a recipe for Apple Glazed Carrots.

¼ cup apple sauce
3 TB brown sugar
1 ½ TB butter

Cook until brown sugar melts. Pour over carrots. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes.

 
 
 
I don’t always have apple sauce on hand, but now keep those small, individual serving size packages of apple sauce, just in case.

Here’s another recipe I have made for gatherings, a little different but tasty, especially if you like garlic.

Carrot Dip

3 sliced, peeled carrots
1 TB brown sugar
1 clove mashed garlic
1 TB olive oil

Cook carrots in water with garlic until tender. Remove from heat and cool. Blend in food processor; adding brown sugar and oil. Add extra water if too thick. Place in bowl; refrigerate.

Great with nacho chips or crackers.
 
All this reading of recipes, and the smell of homemade soup simmering on the stove, has made me hungry, and oh look, it’s dinner time. Bon Appetit.

3 comments:

Stephsco said...

The apple glazed carrots sound delicious! I had honey glazed carrots in a restaurant and have been experimenting with different glazes for awhile. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to try the apple glazed carrots. My mum makes them with maple syrup.

Rebeccah Giltrow said...

I know it's important to get children eating vegetables, but are you sure covering them in butter and sugar is the best way to do it?!