Saturday 26 April 2014

W is for Words



Words

Angry,
angry words,
hurt and pain to inflict,
angry,
angry words
fulfilled in their intent.

Never
do I learn,
with anger I forget,
such words
once spoken,
I will live to regret.


This is a poem I wrote in 1998. It was the first piece I had published and appeared in the anthology The Sounds of Silence , by the National Library of Poetry.

I used poetry to express my thoughts and feelings, my form of journaling, I suppose. I wish I had thought of it as more than that, and that I might have been a writer.

When a new writing group was established in town, I joined, and a whole new world opened up for me. I began to write, just the short 150 word stories at first, as prompted at the meetings, but it was never enough. The words that had been in my head had finally found a way out.

Now, many short stories, a blog and seven novels later, I think I can finally say it…I am a writer.

No comments: