Thursday 26 June 2014

Sigh of Relief

I am breathing a huge sigh of relief tonight.

There was a barbecue at noon today, for the residents at the complex where I live. The Annual General Meeting was to be held 30 minutes prior, business before pleasure.

Before I left home, I picked up the notice, printed so nicely on bright pink paper, to verify the time, and left it sitting on the counter. On a wet counter, I realized when I got home and found a bold pink stain on my very nice beige marble-like Formica counter top.

Oh, no. What to do, what to do.

I wish I'd been smart enough to take a before picture, but all I could think of was to get rid of it, as soon as possible.



I dampened the area and covered it with baking soda, which created a paste. The soda bicarbonate (baking soda) works great, better than some scour type cleaners because it's non-abrasive. I let it sit for awhile, then scoured it with one of those soft non scratchy kitchen sponges.

I had it almost gone, just a tinge of the palest pink was left, not noticeable unless you knew it was there.

But I knew it was there. I added the smallest amount of bleach to the sponge and gave the counter another wipe, and voila, the stain was gone.

Just wanted to give you this handy tip, baking soda is cheap and much less abrasive than those commercial cleaners. NB: also works on stains like tomato sauce and those Koolaid drinks the kids like.

No comments: