Wednesday 30 July 2014

Bugs Be Gone

I wrote before about that pesky fly in my house, that was pestering and playing games with me. I didn’t resort to the sticky fly paper, but I did get a fly swatter, in a bright neon green.

Funny, as I went out the other day, after bringing the fly swatter home, the fly exited the house with me. It made a quick retreat, deciding life would be lived longer and better somewhere else.

And while I’m on the topic of bugs, a frequent topic of summer time conversation, I don’t seem to have any spiders.

I added drops of Peppermint Oil to a spray bottle filled with water, and had the grandkids spray it in the crevices of my patio and around the doors. There had been one big one living near my morning glory, and I haven’t seen him since.

Did you hear about a fly remedy? Put a penny in water, in a clear bag, and hang it near your door. It’s supposed to deter flies from entering. I read about this a few years ago but I’ve never tried it. It was supposed to have worked, even in a horse barn.

Ants. Do you have ants? Baking soda and icing sugar combined to make a paste, put it in a small flat container, the cut off base of a water bottle was suggested, and place where you see ants. The sugar attracts them, but the baking soda apparently kills them.

Here’s something else, not bugs but critters. Apparently they don’t like Irish Spring soap, so add shavings to your garden. I read coffee grounds did the same and added some to my garden, but the squirrels were not deterred.


Now if I could just find a good repellent for mosquitoes.

No comments: