Monday 11 August 2014

I Hate Mondays


It's not hard to forget what day it is when you aren't tied to a work schedule. The days all blend one into another. I have an older friend who often gets confused and can show up for an appointment only to be told her appointment was the day before. If she can get a reminder call, it's a blessing.

Monday is my garbage day. I need to have my bags of trash out front by eleven, for the groundskeeper to pick up and place at the curb, outside the entry to my complex.

I'm not as much of a night owl as I used to be, so I'm usually up to put my garbage out. It's been my habit to check out the window and sort of...verify, that it is indeed Monday, by making sure there are other bags on the road.

Today it was after nine o'clock when I looked out and the road was garbage free. My first thought was I was mixed up on the day. Easy enough to believe as I'd had an unusually busy schedule last week. Then I had to wonder if it was a holiday, but we've had our August long weekend and next will be Labour Day, in September.

So, I waited, and once I saw other people had their garbage out, I carried mine to the curb, and felt I was once again oriented to time and place. I blame this confusion on all this summer vacation, with people being off work or away from home, schedules changed. Don't they know how that messes with my mind?

When I worked in the nursing home we used to have a big white board in the hall. Everyday the staff would change the day of the week, the date, and make a note of the weather. I sometimes feel like I need one of those boards, but as I live alone I would be the person to update it, and as I'd probably forget, why bother.

I love that the laptop has the time in the bottom corner, and with a touch of the mouse I'm informed of the day and date. I have a simple book, a school agenda, that I use to keep myself organized. Little reminders of where I've been, what I've done. Nothing so interesting as a diary I'm afraid.

Another week, another new beginning. I better check that agenda and see what I'm up to this week.

No comments: