Monday 15 September 2014

Another Multitasking Oops



I was getting ready to go out the other day, leaning over the sink brushing my teeth. I stood and reached for my watch and a big dollop of toothpaste landed in the middle of my chest. Oops.

I immediately thought of an old friend and laughed. I worked with C.M. for almost ten years, more than fifteen years ago. It was not uncommon that I would be in a meeting with her and notice a white spot on her top, near the shoulder. I remember pointing it out to her one day and she just nodded her head and said “its toothpaste”.

“Toothpaste?” I said, and wondering how she could get toothpaste on her clothes like that, I asked.

Apparently she was big into multitasking...working wife and mother, busy morning routines to get everybody off to school and work. I found that scenario incredible, not the busy Mom, the pack’em up, move’em out kind of morning, but the walking about doing other chores while brushing your teeth.

My habit is to lean over the sink, usually on one elbow, and remain that way until the task is complete. I don’t stand up straight, I don’t move about. That plop of toothpaste on my shirt the other day was not the first time that had happened.

I’ve learned I need to be over the sink, as I admit I’m a frothing at the mouth, messy brusher. I prefer the toothpaste that drips not land on my clothes, especially if I’m dressed to go out. As it is I usually have to wipe drips off the back of my hand or the counter, in addition to rinsing out the sink.


I like these little snapshots of the past, these pleasant memories of people I once knew and am no longer in touch with. It was a feel good moment.

No comments: