Sunday 16 November 2014

"There's No Sun Up in the Sky"



Yesterday the sun was shining and the skies were a bright blue. With the temperatures hovering above zero it was cold, but bearable with no wind chill. Still, at this mid November date, it seems winter is impatient, and not willing to delay its arrival.

The weather channel predicted snow or rain for the next few days and I can see the snowflakes fluttering down, a light dusting of snow on the ground. The skies are grey, an ominous sign of snow and more snow to come?

I can feel the change in the atmosphere, in the headache and joint pain I woke to. How quickly those colourless skies can affect one’s mood, making one feel dull, dreary and depressed.

It makes me think of that old song “Stormy Weather” sung most famously by Lena Horne. “Don’t know why there’s no sun up in the sky, stormy weather    gloom and misery...can’t get myself together...weary all of the time.” Granted the bad weather in the song represents the singer’s sad mood because “my man and I ain’t together.”



I was talking to a neighbour the other day and mentioned that I hoped the bad weather would stay away long enough for me to get my Christmas shopping done. Apparently, as I have almost completed buying for those on my list, the Winter Wizards decided they could give us a taste of things to come. Oh, joy.


No comments: