Tuesday 9 December 2014

The End, 1st Draft at Least



A year ago, in November, my son and his wife were out hunting, and if you know anything about hunting, it involves a lot of sitting out in the woods, and waiting.

These young people were positioned where a small wooded area served to separate fields of corn. While they waited, they talked, and came up with a title for a book, and texted it to me from their position out in the field. It was “Where the Forest Meets the Corn.”

I had an idea for the story and let it brew for the rest of November and December, and began to write the book this past January. I started with little plot or plan, something that is not my usual style, which may account for why it was such a struggle at times.



At any rate, today I finished the story of Detective Gage Donovan and his serial murder case. Its 320 pages long double spaced and 76,643 words in total. Now I will set it aside until well after the holidays. Set it aside for me, but give it to a select few to read, for feedback.

Once I have the comments from my readers, I’ll begin the editing process, which often proves a harder task than the original writing.

I’m done, and how nice to be able to set it all aside for the holidays. I poured myself a glass of wine to celebrate, and had a few crackers with a spinach dip I bought yesterday. See, I must have known I would finish it today.

But no good deed goes unpunished; I’m having an allergic response to either the crackers or the dip. My skin is itchy, with some red areas, and I can feel the tightness around my eyes. Damn and I was having such a feel-good, self congratulatory moment.


I think I’m going to have to go back to my old standby...chocolate. Bailey’s, some hot cocoa and some Lindt’s chocolate. Works for me.

No comments: