Friday 19 December 2014

Velma, Up to her Old Tricks?

If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, you know that after a series of car issues last year I decided to name my car Velma, in the hopes that it would strengthen our relationship and restore the trust lost in the events of last winter.

Things have been good, knock on wood. When my car got keyed in the fall I had Velma repaired and even got some of her age spots (rust) taken care of. We have been in a good place, as far as car-human relationships go, until today.

I ran an errand this afternoon and when I was in the car, ready to return home, I noticed a dash light remained on. I continued to drive, and worried the whole way that the car would quit and leave me stranded, (like last year).
The light was ABS, and I had no idea what that might mean. At home I shut off the engine and pulled out the manual. ABS stands for Anti-lock braking system. OK.

The book had a lot to say, but none of it explained what it meant when the light stays on. Apparently it is normal for the light to come on when you start the engine, and should go off almost immediately. But what if it stayed on? Nothing, nada, no info.

I started the engine again, just to see what happened, and voila, the light turned off.


I think Velma might have her holidays mixed up. Maybe she thinks its Halloween, time for some trickery. On the other hand, Velma might be well aware it’s the holiday season, and she’s just being a bit naughty, instead of nice.

No comments: