Sunday 22 March 2015

A Rude Awakening



The phone rang at 2:33 A.M. abruptly waking me from a sound sleep. Stumbling the few steps to answer, my thoughts were in overdrive with the immediate concern for my family, my heart racing as I feared for the worst. I grabbed the phone; unable to see the call display in the dark had I even thought to look.

My “Hello?” was given no response and I realized the caller had disconnected. I sat down and fumbled with the new phone I’ve not quite mastered to find the number on the call display only reads ‘Private Number’.

Was this a crank call? Some kids having a sleepover and playing tricks? Do they even think about what that playful moment does to the person on the receiving end of such a call?

It took me a few minutes to calm down, and I was still too restless to sleep. I grabbed my book and read for awhile, hoping the story would distract me, but still, in the back of my mind, I was thinking about that call.

I try to relax, but can’t, and now I’m that cliché, wide awake at 4 A.M. lying in the dark.

Lights on, read some more, occasionally closing the book and my eyes but sleep is still elusive. Now it’s after six, dark still since the time change...spring forward and all. A trip to the bathroom, a drink of water and I’ll try once again to settle.

As I laid in the dark my mind went to writing this, words coming fast and furious, too easily forgotten if not immediately written down. So, lights on, notes made, and now I see the light of dawn shining through the window. It’s morning. This dreary night is done and I try to sleep.

I must have slept for it’s after eight when I’m awakened, not by the phone but by noises outside my door. I’ve heard that sound too many times these past few months...the sound a snow shovel makes scraping across the pavement.

Snow! It’s spring for goodness sake.


I can’t be bothered to look, but pull the covers up and snuggle in to sleep. Maybe it will all be gone by the time I get up. One can only hope.

No comments: