Wednesday 22 April 2015

S...Sounds Outside my Window



I’m sitting here with my morning coffee, enjoying the breeze through the open window. With the breeze and fresh air come the sounds.

I can hear my neighbours call out greetings as they come and go. The sun is shining and it’s a beautiful day, the warmest yet I think.

The sirens are sounding, hard and long. Fire and ambulance? I fear it’s not a good day for someone, somewhere.

The whistle of a train sounds in the distance. I love the repetitive sound of it on the rails, though others may not agree if the tracks are close to their backdoor. I grew up near the airport and know what it’s like to miss bits of conversation or the voices on the television because a plane was taking off or landing.

The breeze is sounding in the brass wind chimes at my neighbour’s door.

Was that a chain saw? Maybe trimming trees that didn’t make it through these last storms unscathed or a proactive removal of dead limbs before the cold and freezing temperatures of another winter.

If it were Sunday, I would be listening to the music of the church bells. And if I was downtown I could hear the tower bell in the town hall signal the hour.


The sounds of life, after months of closed windows and bad weather keeping everyone inside and isolated. I say welcome...to all the sounds of spring.

No comments: