Thursday 20 August 2015

Fiesta Ware




I was looking at the most recent Walmart flyer and had a deja moment. There was an ad for dinnerware, a simple set in bright colors that took me back, reminded me of my youth and visits to my grandmother's home in Ohio.

My grandmother's casual dishes were original Fiesta ware. I remember the bright colors and all the added pieces she had like salt and pepper shakers, platters and bowls. The colors were so earthy, like fall tones, like fallen leaves.

Fiesta ware was ceramic dinnerware glazed in different solid colors and marketed by Homer Laughlin China Company of Newell, West Virginia. It was introduced for retail sale with great success in 1936, and withdrawn from production in 1973 due to declining sales, and reintroduced in 1986.

The original 5 colors were red (orange red), blue (cobalt), green (light green), yellow ( deep golden) and old ivory (yellowish cream). In 1936 a 6th color was added...tourquoise (robins' egg blue).

As of 2008, there are a total of 39 color glazes.


No comments: