Friday 8 April 2016

Graham Cracker Crumbs



I was talking to my family about the A-Z Blog Challenge, explaining that my theme was food. I was trying to think of something for ‘G’ and my grandson suggested graham crackers.

I like graham crackers, just plain out of the package, but then there are all the desserts you can make with a graham cracker crumb base. So, for my grandson, I’m making my ‘G’ graham cracker crumbs.

What immediately comes to your mind? Could it be Nanaimo Bars?

For a while, my family favorite dessert was my cheesecake recipe. I made a plain, baked cheesecake with a crumb base, and constantly changed the sauces to drip, drizzle or pour over it. Sometimes it was a fruit sauce, like when strawberries were in season, or maybe a caramel, nut sauce. Whatever floats your boat.

Here’s my baked cheesecake recipe.

Crust   Combine 11/4 cups graham cracker crumbs with ¼ cup sugar and ¼ cup melted butter. Press firmly on bottom of greased 9 inch spring form pan.
 Filling   Beat 2 pkgs (8oz) cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in 1 can Condensed Milk, 3 eggs and ¼ tsp salt. Stir in ¼ cup lemon juice. Pour over crust in prepared pan.
 Bake in a 300 degree oven for 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.

As much as I love this recipe it does need something to give it some zing, like fresh fruit, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce.

There is another cheesecake recipe that my mother made in the summer. It doesn’t require any baking and is a nice, light dessert for summer. I’m including it, after all, summer is coming.

Cherry Cheesecake

1st Layer  2 cups graham cracker crumbs
                 ½ cup melted butter
                ½ cup brown sugar
Combine and press in an oblong pan.
2nd Layer  8 oz package cream cheese
                  1 cup icing sugar
                  1 envelope Dream Whip
Cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Prepare Dream Whip according to package directions. Fold into cream cheese and sugar mixture. Spread over graham cracker layer.
3rd Layer..1 can cherry pie filling. Spoon pie filling onto cream cheese layer.
Chill for about 4 hours.

Enjoy!




1 comment:

betty said...

I liked graham crackers dipped in milk when I was growing up. I liked both of the cheesecake recipes; its a favorite dessert of our family; might have to try the no bake one this summer.

betty