Sunday 29 May 2016

Velma's Hit Menopause

I was out of town on Friday, and was treated to a great lunch with a friend. The drive up was okay, still too early for the heat to be a problem. I took the highway and drove with the windows closed, and the fan set on its coldest setting. I hate air conditioning, and never even considered turning it on.

For the drive home, I avoid the highway. I hate rush hour and I'd be heading out of the city like all those people who are finished work and are...rushing home. I don't like all that merging, the changing lanes etc, so I stick to the city streets.

The nice thing is, my route home takes me by the Michael's Craft Store, Pier 1, Bed Bath and Beyond (I had a 20% off coupon) and Fabricland. I don't hit all of them, the odd time, none of them, but most often I stop at the craft store.

By the time I reach the east side of the city my route is more like a country road, until it dead ends in another town and I change to the two lane highway. I continue east, driving through town, smaller town and then villages until I reach my destination.

I drove with the windows open, but the heat was getting unbearable, so I gave in and closed the windows and turned on the air conditioning. Hot air, and more hot air, not a breath of relief. Well, damn, my air conditioning doesn't work. Velma, you old beast, you have reached that car age where your systems are failing, You're having hot flashes.

I drove home with the windows open, my arm out hoping to catch some of the breeze up my sleeve, to cool me off. Even with the wind blowing in and around, I was over heated by the time I reached home. I made it in the door, changed into cooler clothes and dropped down on the bed, a cool cloth on my head.

Velma, Velma, Velma. I wanted us to be more friendly, but I never anticipated that you would  play copycat. Just because I don't like air conditioning, and don't do well in the hot weather doesn't mean you have to do the same.

Note. Velma is my car, and a frequent topic of conversation in my posts. We're a pair of old ladies, aging too fast, and too soon we're going to reach the end of our driving experience.)

No comments: