Thursday 2 June 2016

Living With Disappointment

My neighbor belongs to a group that meets every Thursday afternoon to play cards, and enjoys a pot-luck dinner after. When we were shopping earlier in the week, she bought what she needed to make peanut butter marshmallow squares, her contribution to the meal.

We share meals back and forth, and other tasty treats. It means we might have one less solo meal to cook, or won't be eating leftovers for the week.

I fully anticipated that she would share her peanut butter squares with me, as I shared my recipe with her and drove her around to get the required ingredients. And, oh look, it's Thursday.

I heard her knock at the door and watched her enter with my cookbook and the empty dishes I'd given her earlier in the week...full.

She was on her way home from the dinner, mentioned she had been to Costco the day before. She handed me a cookie/cracker thing, individually wrapped,  purchased by the box.

I had to ask. "Did yo make the squares for the dinner?"

She said "No," she'd make them the next week. So, I got this thin biscuit that looked like Melba Toast, with almonds and cranberries. Like a thin slice of biscotti, maybe?

I tell you, it was no peanut butter marshmallow square, and now that I've had my mouth watering for a taste, may have to make my own. It's a simple 3 ingredient recipe. One package of butterscotch chips mixed with 1 cup of peanut butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted and mixture is well combined. Add a package of mini marshmallows (the colored ones make a colorful treat), mix and pour into a buttered 9x9 inch pan and refrigerate. Soooooo good.

This is one of my must do, expected, traditional recipes at Christmas, but I don't see any reason it can't be enjoyed as a light summer treat.

And then there's Ambrosia, or what I've always called 5 Cup Salad, now I want some of that too. I see a trip to the grocery store in my near future.

No comments: