Tuesday 23 August 2016

Be Gone Blue Coat

It may seem strange, after complaining of the heat, but I bought a winter coat last week.

I happened upon a rack of coats, maybe more fall than winter, but still. I liked the style, a full zipper plus snaps, four front pockets and a slit in the back for ease when sitting. I bought one in navy blue, so as to go with the jeans I am forever wearing.

For the last ten years, at least, I've worn a pale blue parka in winter. I loved it because it was bright, could be worn with various scarves, and had a front inside pocket so I could forgo carrying my purse.

A number of years ago the front zipper broke, but I wore it anyway, just made sure I had a sweatshirt or fleece top on underneath. And, it wasn't that big of a problem, even as cold as our winters have been, as I don't venture out much in winter.

The old blue coat, soiled with a permanent brown on the cuffs, zipper broken. is gone...almost. At least it's out of the closet, off the hangar. The new coat hung and ready for cooler weather.

My dilemma is what to do with the old coat. Do I throw it away, as useless and worn, or do I drop it in one of those bins, and hope that perhaps it might still prove to be of benefit to someone else?Maybe some homeless woman would appreciate it, and not mind so much if the zipper's broken, but will layer it with something warmer, as I did.

I guess I just answered my own question. I'll toss it in the bin. If the bin managers decide it's of no use, they can toss it, but I figure they have a better chance of getting it to the needy than I do.

Goodbye, old coat, you've served me well.

No comments: