Wednesday 21 September 2016

Force of Habit

I have a table just inside the door, with a large stone angel statue. There is just enough room at the base for me to place my glasses and my car keys, and keep them handy. It is very rare for me to break from that habit.

My purse goes on the hook on the bi-fold closet door, followed by my jacket in cooler weather, the keys and glasses to the table

Habits. When you change the routine, it changes everything. I must have set the keys down as usual, then hurried to put the groceries away, still wearing the glasses.

I should be wearing the glasses all the time, for distance, like for watching television. But, I never wear them at home. too much bother as I can't wear them for craft work. I have a pair of bifocals, but they stay by the bed.

When I went out today, I grabbed the keys off the table, my purse off the hook, and walked out the door, locking it behind me.

I was half way to the car, thinking how bright the sun was, and realized I wasn't wearing my glasses, with the lens which darken in the sun.

I don't think I've ever done that before, and admit I was shocked. It's such a habit, to grab them as I go out the door.

I'm sure, if the bright sun hadn't alerted me, my fuzzy view of the road would have.

Creatures of habit, aren't we?

No comments: