Friday 2 December 2016

Decorating the Tree

My daughter and her husband are a blended family, two adults, four kids, a dog and a fish.

On Saturday I was at her home when they put up the Christmas tree, and this year it was a real trip down memory lane.

His parents sold their house this summer, and decided to distribute a great deal of their belongings to their three boys. This included Christmas ornaments. So, as ornaments were unpacked, there was talk of who gave him the ornaments, most often his Nana.



Grandmothers must like giving ornaments, as I have contributed a large number of the ones on my daughter's tree. About 11 years ago I decided to make the kids an ornament every year, decorations they could have for their first tree as an adult. A great number include photos, so it generated a lot of fun and laughter.

I had to go back, to start from the beginning, but it wasn't too bad as I just needed one for every year 1998 to 2000. Then in 2001 I needed two per year, then quickly, three, four, five and then six. A couple years ago the count became 7, and the families are complete, and as the kids have a number of ornaments. I decided last year...was my last. Besides, the trees are awfully full.

My son-in-law is an avid hockey fan, so, of course, he had a hockey ornament for the tree.



Instead of a star, he had a figurine of Gordie Howe, for the top of the tree. That was very apropos, as the tree is a true reflection of the family. And a beautiful one at that.

No comments: