Tuesday 14 March 2017

Not a Night for Man or Beast

The winter storm has arrived as predicted. I can hear the winds blowing, the shuddering of the door when it strikes. When I look out, the neighborhood is covered in white, the snow swirling about.

Earlier, I could still see grass, though the roads were covered, and I thought Lily was enjoying this change as she frequently rushed out, ate the snow and ran about. (Lily is the dog I'm dog sitting).

The last time she was out a gust of wind blew the snow off the roof and covered her in white. As I was standing in the open door waiting for her, she shook it off and rushed back in.

It's been hours, and she has slept, often snoring, in her bed on the floor. I figured she needed one last trip outside before we called it a night.

I opened the door and she raced out about two feet and immediately circled back in. No way, no how, I think she's telling me. It's cold and blowing and I guess she's had enough.

Right now, she's curled up on her bed, pretending to be asleep. I'm not sure whether to go out with her, or go to bed and hope for the best.

I've enjoyed my week with a pet. I've had someone to talk to and actually taken a number of walks I most likely would otherwise have avoided.

She's a good dog, but I think she misses the family, the kids. When she's out, she's always checking the parking lot for their return. Only a couple more days, Lil, and they'll be home. And then it's goodbye until the next time.

No comments: