Thursday 30 November 2017

Geometry

Tuesday nights, when my granddaughter plays indoor soccer, we gather here for for dinner and travel together to the game. My old Velma, being a van, holds us all and I avoid night driving by having a designated driver.

As we we going out the door, my grandson looked toward the bookcase and said that's a something, something pentagon. What he was looking at was a very pretty candle holder/vase/bowl in a mottled gold. It looks very pretty at night when lit by one of my flameless candles.

The shape is made up of joined pentagrams, five sided shapes for those of you not up on your math. t

I was impressed that he noted the shape as said object is tucked in with my books and other collectibles on a very full wall of shelves.

Then he noted the ceiling fan and said the fans were elliptical in shape.

Now I was duly impressed. Not only had he obviously listened in class, but he had taken that information and applied it to real life, recognizing how those shapes were used not only in creating something artistic, like my candle holder, but also functional like in the blades of my ceiling fan.

So there, Dad, that talk about paying attention in class and applying himself to his studies paid off.

No comments: