Friday 17 November 2017

Project Runway Finale

Project Runway is the only reality show I watch, and I watch because I love to see what these talented designers can come up with, week after week. This year has been a bit different as the models range from size 2 to 22, the first time plus size models have been used.

There was one designer that caught my eye from the beginning. Every look he put out on the runway was very distinctively his, where other designers did not have an established branding.

Last night was the final show, when the four finalists sent a 10 piece collection down the runway for their own show at New York Fashion week.

One woman, from Puerto Rico, sent a colorful collection, full of bold fabric designs and of course sparkle. I liked a few of the designs, but found it all too wild and full of pattern. I thought, as did one of the judges, that she could have used some solid pieces to offset the bold. She was the first designer eliminated.

The three designers left included a young man from Utah, my fave from the beginning. Next was a woman who designed for the modest market, namely those women of Muslin descent who followed their religious and cultural customs, who covered their head and did not expose skin. The last was a Japanese man who I felt was hit and miss throughout the competition. I think there may have been some language problems in his understanding and in making himself understood.

The woman put on an interesting show, including an absolutely beautiful wedding gown. Though she had some good designs, I think her collection might have been stronger if the show was 7 pieces instead of 10, as a few of her designs were not as strong as the others. She came in 2nd.

I was disappointed in my fave. He chose a colorful fabric as the basis of his collection and used it at full strength, and after he'd faded the colors to create a new look. He added a coordinating solid for variety. But here's the thing, the collection may have been full of fantastic designs, but it was lost in the repetition of color and fabric. There needed to be some pop of other color, some solids, to accentuate the design. He came in third, where I thought he would be a runaway winner. His disappointment was hard to watch. He is young and was very humble throughout, one of the only designers that did not get sidetracked with the drama between the group members.

The Japanese man won, and I can't quite figure out why. He felt he had nothing to lose and went with his own ideas, ignoring any advice, a basically black and white show with a few pops of red. He had some good designs, but I didn't think they were as exceptional as some of the others.

So, I'm disappointed in the outcome. I'm sure that all these finalists will have a future in fashion design and we'll hear about them in the future.
after
Apparently there is to be a reunion show, like what they do after the Survivor show's winner is announced. I'm sure it will be full of drama, as was this, the 16th season of Project Runway.

1 comment:

C R Ward said...

I was really disappointed in the results too. My favourite got eliminated just before Fashion Week. Of the remaining four, Kentaro was definitely the worst (I mean, come on, what was with that dress with what amounted to a giant black scrubby on the front?). Any one of the remaining three would have been a better choice. IMO