Monday 6 November 2017

The Need to Chat

I need a friend who has the same interests, so we can talk about the same things.

Like crochet. I find a new pattern, with some interesting new stitch or way of doing things and I want to share. I want to talk about it, but for those that don't crochet...boring.

The same can be said for my other creative efforts, like my art or other craft projects. For people who don't do those things, they find it hard to feign interest.

I need a friend who is as keen on the J. D. Robb series of books as I am. I absolutely love these books, how the characters have been developed over 45 books and still remain as interesting as they were in the beginning. I am fascinated, as a writer,  at how the author creates a mystery/murder story for each book and at the same time shows a new side to the main groups of characters.

I also like the minor secondary characters who come and go, like the young street peddler, the computer whiz. I like the closure you get as a reader when the author brings back, for a minor role, a character from a previous book.

But I have to wonder how the author does it How does she keep track of all these people she has created. Like the baker who was kidnapped and tortured, rescued by the star character, the homicide cop. Her last words, on being rescued, were about the special cake she was going to bake, in thanks. That cake was delivered a couple of books later, and was a crucial part in helping the detective solve her current case. How did the author plan that, or make that happen? I need someone who reads these books and wants to talk about it.

And then there's Project Runway, the only reality TV show I watch. I love the creativity of this show and often design outfits in my head as I watch. This year has been particularly interesting with the emotions in the sewing room. But I don't know anyone who watches this so I could talk about it.

Maybe I need to find some chat rooms, there must be one somewhere that has "like" discussions, but I'd prefer an animated discussion over coffee.

Oh well, at least I have my son-in-law to talk to about the recent sporting events. But he's more into hockey, or golf, and I need someone who also likes tennis.

Funny, but if I got out more I might find that person of "like" interests, but if I got too social, I wouldn't have time for all those interests.  Is that as confusing as I think it is? Have to go, my programs about to start. LOL

No comments: