Wednesday 1 November 2017

Velma...Good to Go

Velma, my van, is back from the spa (the garage), and with a good to go report. I know her time is limited, but like most of us good old girls, we're toughing it out.

I was afraid of a big bill, too many costly repairs, but other than the rust issue, she's working pretty good. We'll see how she makes out in the spring after a winter of snow and salt.

I joke around and say that when Velma is ready for that great big scrap yard in the sky, my driving days will also be done. But I know if it happens next year, I'm not ready to give up my independence.

I got a lecture about this in the summer from a neighbor, who had to make the drive or not drive decision. He's thirty years older than me, and though he has some health issues, his mobility is better than mine.

His car was old and rusted out and he was told that it was not safe to drive. So he faced the dilemma, to drive or not to drive. He chose drive and bought himself a little red car, a Sprite I think it is.

Like me, he doesn't go out a lot, but when he wants to go, he wants to go right that moment. If you don't drive it's the bus, so a walk to the bus stop. It can be Community Care car service, but that has to be booked 3 days ahead of time. Wheels, the bus service for the disabled is also a book ahead service. As a last resort...it's a taxi...$$$$$.

I know my kids would be there for me, a trip to the grocery store, a doctor's appointment, but what about that spur of the moment trip to Walmart or the dollar store. The sad thing is, if your friends are of the same age or condition, they are not driving either.

I take my 90 year old neighbor with me when I go shopping, as she otherwise has to book a ride. She appreciates the opportunity.

I have another friend who is at that point, that decision making point, of whether to drive or not to drive. I feel for her, for by the time that decision has to be made, there have been a number of losses that have come before.

Independence, or the loss of independence, is not an easy choice. I'm not ready to make that decision, let alone live with the negative, the loss of my freedom to go out, to do as I please, when I please. Let's hope I have time before I have to face it.

No comments: