Sunday 3 December 2017

Love a Duck

I love making new traditions, and have started a number in the last few years. One that is fun is the joke gift.

The first was an outhouse, occupied with a singing outdoorsman that just had to go to my son. I can't remember the song, but it made everyone laugh. I loved the detail, like the roll of toilet paper hanging outside the door.

The next year it was a Lego type Zamboni, in a 109 pieces, but the best was it had the Toronto Maple Leafs logo on the side. This went to my son-in-law, one of their most die hard fans.

Last year it was a very pretty frame, for selfie pictures, with the title Queen of Selfies in pink, and when you shook it, there was a flutter of sparkles. Perfect for my granddaughter.

About July or August, my nine year old granddaughter starts asking who is getting the joke gift. I always give her the same answer. "I don't know until I see it."

As she is the most ardent of fans for this new tradition, I had to give her the joke gift this year. But what?

Somehow, in conversation, I found out that a duck is her favorite animal. Really, a duck!

It has been the root of many other jokes since that time. When she got her new winter coat, purple in color, I said I would make her a duck hat, but it had to be purple to match. I did make the hat, but it was bright yellow, and she loved it.

When I saw a soft velour house coat, in bright yellow, with a duck head hood, I knew I had my joke gift.



Yesterday we had a family gathering for Christmas and she was given her 'joke' gift and she loved it. The other tradition I started a few years ago was the making of one item, crocheted, for every member. It was hats the first year, then slippers, hats and mitts and last year socks. So what to do this year.



I decided to surprise everyone by making them stuffed animals, and they were delighted. Now I have to think what to do next year, whatever it is is x 13, so I have my work cut out for me.

No comments: