Tuesday 16 January 2018

Ping Ping Ping

I have managed my life, thus far, without a cell phone. I really don't miss it, though how can you miss something you've never had?

There were times I wished I had one. Like when I'm out and want to check in with friends or family, to see if they're home and up for a visit.

I suppose it would be handy to have a cell phone in case of car trouble or some other kind of emergency. You know, be a Boy Scout and Be Prepared.

For the most part I would want a cell phone for the camera. It's awkward to carry a real camera around with you, and a phone is so much smaller.

But now I have an i pad, and I can text, face time and take pictures. Okay, it's not small like a camera but it still fits my purse.

What I can't get used to is the frequent and repeated "pings" calling for my attention.

I was snuggled into bed the other night, the i pad over by the sofa, recharging, when I heard it ping. Got up and went to answer the text from my daughter. I waited a few minutes and when it seemed she wasn't going to send any further communications, I went back to bed.

Nice and comfy, and it went again. "Ping". Back up and texting back. Now we're having general conversation, and I finally called it quits, said I was going back to bed and staying there.

It works both ways. I did a little project for my daughter, and wanted her input so took a few pictures and forwarded them to her. She'd been asleep, woke long enough to give me her opinion in a couple of words (a first for her LOL) and said she was going back to sleep. Oops. Sorry.

Even as I write this I've been pinged twice. Make that three times.

I like the quick text conversations with the kids and grandkids, the face time at Christmas, but sometimes I miss being the great unreachable. Still am when out as I need WIFI for the i pad, so it's not quite the same as a cell phone.

Still, it's fun and I'm learning many new tasks. And I love that I can use it in bed, for Facebook, Pinterest or games. My usage has gone way up which was never an issue before, so I may have to switch my plan to unlimited.

"Ping". Gotta go, someone's pinging for my attention.

No comments: