Sunday 11 March 2018

Text Talk

When I got the new I phone I was with my daughter and we were in the store for awhile as she had her phones updated and data transferred. I was anxious to try out my new texting ability and texted my son. It was a strange experience.

Me: Hi Sweetie. I have an I phone. I have joined the masses.

Him: Who is this?

Me: It's your Mother. LOL Who did you think it was? Who else calls you Sweetie?

Him: Are you sure? What's the last thing I posted on line? My Mother does not call me Sweetie.

Me: The gun control thing on Facebook. Better call you Kiddo.

Him: That's better. LOL

I was assuming that my name showed up as a caller, not just the number. Of course, he wouldn't recognize a strange number. I laugh at how cautious he was, and if I'd thought about it, I would have used kiddo from the start. I was just eager to get started.

Written communication, texting, does not always come across as the sender might have intended. Comments can be taken seriously when actually meant as a joke. That's why there are so many LOL's used, just in case.

I have a strange sense of humor, one that my granddaughter doesn't get, but then she's only nine. I texted her one school day and asked what she'd studied that day. She replied "tobacco". I questioned her further..."about how they grow it or did they take you out behind the shed and teach you how to smoke?"  It was the grow part. She ignored the rest.

I tried again, on a Saturday morning, asking what she was up to. The answer was they were having a laundry party. I knew that meant the family was all involved in doing laundry and putting it all away. When both parents work it's often a weekend chore.

My reply was...."Are you fluffing and folding? Will there be music and dancing?"

Her reply was not as enthusiastic..."it's just what Dad called doing the laundry".

I know this kid has a great sense of humor, but she needs the face to face, otherwise I may become that strange old lady they call grandma.

LOL

No comments: