Sunday 29 April 2018

MS Walk for the Cure

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1997, after years of testing and visits to the neurologist. In  2001 I had deteriorated, more cognitively (memory issues, concentration) than physical though fatigue was a major problem. I could no longer function safely or efficiently at my job and went on disability.

My children were in their early twenties at that time, and each had their first child, making me a grandmother. Now with seven grandchildren, on this day of the MS Walk for the Cure, I realize those kids have grown up with my disease, some seeing more changes in my abilities than others.

I remember the day my youngest grandson asked me why I had a "stick", meaning my cane. Now I use a walker. My other grandson has taken notes from his father. He opens doors, waits for me to get in and out of the car, assists with the walker, waits at a curb to give me a steady arm. It's become a natural thing for him to do. The other grandkids are doing the same, making it seem normal, natural.

At times I fall into a little "Woe is Me" mood and stress about the things I can't do, but then I bounce back and am very thankful for those things I can do.

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor
My fantastic team.

It means the world to me to have my family, as a whole, participate in the local MS Walk. As some of the kids are small, or were smaller when we began, I drive to the half way point of the walk and pick up anyone who wants a ride back to the high school, the starting point. They called my van the "Whiner Wagon" today and I had three tag along with me, and two ten year olds who completed the whole distance for the first time.

We had fun, a lunch of hot dogs and pizza, and a lot of laughter. This year, as it is usually cool weather, we had very bright colored sweatshirts with our team name..."Debby Does MS". When my kids came up with the name I had to wonder how they knew about those movies that the name spoofs, but figured it was better not to know.

Done for another year. Congrats and much love to the team.

No comments: